Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, February 23, 2018

Pretty Dead Girls | Book Review

Pretty Dead Girls

Written by: Monica Murphy
Number of Pages: 322

Average Rating: 3.82 / 5 stars
My Rating: 1 / 5 stars

Published: January 2, 2018
Read in February 2018


Summary According to Goodreads

Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. 

In the peaceful seaside town of Cape Bonita, wicked secrets and lies are hidden just beneath the surface. But all it takes is one tragedy for them to be exposed. 

The most popular girls in school are turning up dead, and Penelope Malone is terrified she’s next. All the victims so far have been linked to Penelope - and to a boy from her physics class. The one she’s never really noticed before, with the rumoured dark past and a brooding stare that cuts right through her. 

There’s something he isn’t telling her. But there’s something she’s not telling him, either. Everyone has secrets, and theirs might get them killed. 


My Thoughts

And my successful “most anticipated” streak has come to an end.

I hardly ever give novels one star ratings, but there was nothing redeeming in this one for me. It followed every cliche in YA, and didn’t bring anything unique to the table. I don’t have a lot that I want to say about this novel, so I am going to keep this review brief and to the point.

The worst part of this novel without a doubt was the characters. They were so pretentious and I really didn’t care which one of them died. They all could have been murdered for how much I cared about them. The main character was supposed to be redeeming, but she was the biggest bitch of them all! She was talking about how much she loved her friends and how long they’ve known each other, but then would slut-shame or talk badly of them behind their back. Typical high school queen-bee drama, that got old really fast. 

Oh, and then there was the love interest thrown in. Cue typical mysterious but hot guy that she’s never spoken a word to, and is now hopelessly in love with. Seriously, that’s the love interest. And even though she keeps thinking he’s involved in the murders of her “best friends” she follows him around like a puppy and let’s him control the situations - even driving her car! No thank you.

I don’t have any negative things to say about her writing style itself, as I still found it to be a quick read - just not engaging or enjoyable. I could only read a chapter or two at a time before I needed to take a break, because it was just so overly dramatic and not realistic. 

Overall, this was an extremely bland and predictable read. This is an unfortunate case of the cover being more intriguing than the plot itself, and I wouldn’t recommend reading this if you want a thriller.


No comments:

Post a Comment