Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Grownup Review

The Grownup

Written by: Gillian Flynn
Number of pages: 64

Average Rating: 3.55/5 stars
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Published on November 3, 2015
Read in August 2016


Summary according to Goodreads

A canny young woman is struggling to survive by perpetrating various levels of mostly harmless fraud. On a rainy April morning, she is reading auras at Spiritual Palms when Susan Burke walks in. A keen observer of human behaviour, our unnamed narrator immediately diagnoses beautiful, rich Susan as an unhappy woman eager to give her lovely life a drama injection. However, when the “psychic” visits the eerie Victorian home that has been the source of Susan’s terror and grief, she realizes she may not have to pretend to believe in ghosts anymore. Miles, Susan’s teenage stepson, doesn’t help matters with his disturbing manner and grisly imagination. The three are soon locked in a chilling battle to discover where the evil truly lurks and what, if anything, can be done to escape it.


My Thoughts

This was my first experience reading Gillian Flynn, which might come as a surprise when considering her popularity. I enjoyed the movie adaptation of Gone Girl, and was interested to see this novella sitting on the shelf of my local bookstore. The psychological thriller genre is one that I am new to, so felt I should give this a try because it is so short. 

The length did contribute to one of the reasons that I did not enjoy this story. I felt like there were too many scattered pieces to the story, a woman gives hand jobs for a profit and then is trying to ward off evil in someone’s house? Okay. I was fairly confused while reading this little novel, because I could never wrap my head around the plot. This story really messed with my mind which is why I’m giving it three stars, but nothing higher because I feel like it didn’t mean anything. It was just an easy way to help catch up on my reading challenge.

Overall, it was not something that I loved and wish I had not purchased. If you are interested in reading this story I would recommend checking your local library first, before spending the $10 on a hardcover copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment