Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Ms.Marvel Book Review


Ms. Marvel

Written by G. Willow Wilson
Art by Adrian Aphona
Number of pages: 120

Average Rating: 4.16/5 stars
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Published on October 30th 2014
Read in June 2016


Summary according to Goodreads

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City - until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey!


My Thoughts

It had been so long since I had last read a graphic novel, I decided to head over to my library and see what they had available. Ms.Marvel is one I had heard quite a bit about when it was first reeled, with fairly mixed reviews, so I decided to read it and gather my own opinion. It was fairly short and a graphic novel, so there is not too much for me to say. 

I really liked the artwork in this graphic novel. I guess it is technically a comic book? I have not yet had any luck with comics, I actually find them harder to read and follow. Except for this one - I really enjoyed it for both the artwork, plot line, and overall themes. There was a prominent element of culture in this story, and one that I was not very familiar with. Our main character comes from a Pakistani-American family, living under strong parental guidance and flying fairly low under the social radar. It was refreshing to read a character who is trying to do good things in the world, but also stay on the good side of her parents. 

My issue with this comic was a personal one, since I don't know much about The Avengers I feel that it took away from my reading experience. I have a very limited knowledge of Marvel superheroes, and did not feel very connected to that aspect. 

Overall, I am happy to have picked this series up, and have already requested the sequel from my library. There was not too much excitement going on, and instead more world building and character setup - I am hoping for more in the sequel!


No comments:

Post a Comment