Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2016

Allegiant Book Review

Allegiant

Written by Veronica Roth
Number of pages: 525

Average Rating: 3.65/5 stars
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Published October 22, 2013
Read in May 2016


Summary according to goodreads

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris' new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choice about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 


My Thoughts

I feel like I need to get everything out in the open - I cried reading this novel. I felt so connected to all of the characters, including the minor ones, and could not help but get emotionally involved with all of the problems they were facing. There were a lot of ups and downs in this novel, and unfortunately did not follow a happy ending. 

It is against popular opinion, but I actually appreciated the dual perspectives in this novel because there was so much going on. I found it very refreshing to see both sides of the story, except I did not find the two voices to be very developed. At times I forgot whose perspective I was reading, but caught on quickly enough for it not to hinder my experience. 

I was very happy that the characters did not change - obviously there was significant character development - but basic morals were still there from beginning to end. There were some very immature and reckless decisions made, mostly from Tobias, and felt that they could have been changed as they added little to the story. These characters have been through so much, it is hard to remember they are still teenagers, barely adults. 

The only issue that I had with this novel was its similarities to The Maze Runner. I will not spoil anything for anyone who has not read it, but the plot took a twist that I was not expecting and was not thrilled about. I have actually given up on reading that series by James Dashner, and was a little put-off by this plot twist. Throughout the novel it was stronger developed and was a very interesting addition to the novel - one that I ended up appreciating. 

Even though I had been spoiled on the ending, I was completely engaged in the story and did not know what was going to happen - deaths came out of nowhere. Although someone of the deaths were unnecessary, the final one (maybe even final two) did add a lot to the story, and further development to the characters. I cried during the last 40 or so pages, and even the day after reading could not stop thinking about this novel. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and series. I am happy to have finally finished it even years after originally reading the first novel. It only took me so long to read because I have been completely engrossed in the Raptors game, and could not read because we always seemed to go into overtime against Miami. 

Be brave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment