Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2016

DNF'd: Rule by Jay Crownover


It is true, I have given up on reading Rule, after getting about a third of the way through (just over 100 pages). I was reading this as an ebook for our group read in AYearAThon, and it is one that came very highly reviewed to me. I cannot count how many times my close friends told me that I needed to pick this novel up. 

I am usually a fan of the new adult genre, and the tattooed bad boys, but this one fell very flat for me. The writing was not very strong, and didn't feel like it had gone through much of an editing process. There were many scenes and over-the-top descriptions that I felt could have been shortened, making this novel a bearable 300 pages. 

I don't think the hype had anything to do with my expectations, but instead did not compare to some of the other new adult novels I have read. Overall, I was very disappointed in this novel, and cannot believe how long of a series it has become. I will be taking a short break from new adult, and will instead focus on some lighter reads while finishing my semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment