Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weekly Wrap Up: April 6th - 12th

What a week this has been. I had a death in my family and being away at school has been very hard. That being said, I haven't read much since Wednesday as my mind has been off, as well as the fact that my final exams start this week! Can't wait to be done and go home on Saturday!

READ

I did finish one book early on in the week, and that was Damaged by Cathy Glass. My roommate and I were wandering around Chapters when she came across this author and started telling me how much she loved her novels. Cathy Glass is a foster mother who cares for many children and her novels are written about the child she takes care of. This one specifically was about Jodie, a seven-year-old girl who had severe behavioural issues, and had been with five carers in four months. 

This was such a heart wrenching story that made me sick to my stomach and brought me to tears. It blows my mind that people can treat their children the way that Jodie was treated. Overall I gave this book a full five stars and plan on reading all of Cathy's books. 


DNF'D


I had to give up on the Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, the language was just too juvenile for my taste. It took me almost a whole day to get fifty pages in, and that was with sheer determination. If I had continued reading I knew I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I had when I was younger, and I prefer the movie overall. 






CURRENTLY READING

I am currently reading The Wind Through the Willows by Kenneth Grahame on my kindle, and am almost finished at 70%. I picked this up, with a bunch of other classics, in an effort to complete the "50 Books to Read Before You Die" list (hopefully this year). As of right now I have only read 8 of those books, and am very disappointed in that number. This is a very odd novel for a children's story, but also has a lot of symbolism, so I am interested to see how it concludes. When I have finished I am going to purchase myself a physical copy in the pretty Puffin Classics edition! Hopefully you'll see that in my book haul at the end of the month. 

BOUGHT

As I mentioned, I went to Chapters with my roommate, and while I was there picked up three books. I don't feel guilty about my purchases as they were books I was really wanting, and I have already read one of them - and plan on picking up one next. I picked up Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by the hilarious Mindy Kaling, as recently I became obsessed with The Mindy Project, and had to pick up her book. I also picked up Damaged by Cathy Glass, which I talked about, and School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins which is a spinoff to the Hex Hall series. I loved that trilogy and can't wait to dive into this book!


GOALS

I don't have any particular goals for this week, especially since my focus is on my studying and packing up my dorm room. Hopefully I don't buy a book, but if I do cave it will be for The Wind in the Willows. My goal for the year - maybe longer - is to only purchase books I have read and enjoyed, and will most likely read again. 

I hope you guys had a great week and I will talk to you soon! Hopefully next week I will start posting videos again since I'll be home to my desktop!

P.S., I am also still 3 books ahead on my goodreads goal which makes me very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment