Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sinnerman Review

Sinnerman

Written by: Jonathan M. Cook
# of pages: 185

Average Rating: 4.43/5
My Rating: 3/5

Read in November 2013

Summary according to goodreads

"Love makes sinners of us all."

In the sleepy Midwestern town of Vespers...

In the sweltering summer heat...

Julian Sane, high school teacher and cad's cad, is a man at war with himself. But a chance encounter with a former student will push him across professional boundaries and force him to confront his personal demons.


My Thoughts

I received a copy of this book to review, but that does not influence my opinion. 


A strong asset to this novel was that it included strong and powerful descriptions. Although this is a rather short book, it is one that you need to read slowly in order to fully grasp all of the details. 
 
I would suggest this novel for more mature readers, as it didn't seem to fit into my age group. I plan on rereading in the future, and hopefully I will be able to appreciate it more. As a recently-turned adult, I haven't had as many life experiences that would help me be able to relate to this story, but I'm sure there are lots of people that could. 


The main character, Julian, was very arrogant and not enjoyable at the beginning, but he went through significant character development during the story. I have said before that character development is nearly crucial in defining a good novel, so it was nice to see Julian learn how to choose the important things in life and not be so ... rude. 


Overall, I think that it is very refreshing to read a contemporary that isn't all about the happy ever after, and isn't realistic at all. This story is easy to see happening based both on the plot and the characters. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a contemporary read, but it also a good book when reflecting on life. 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your review! I really enjoyed hearing your take on the main character's development.
    I'm curious: I noticed in your video review you had multiple pages of the book tabbed. Would you mind sharing what other passages you had tabbed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the strong character development. I think that's what I enjoyed most about #SINNERMAN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the fence with this. I want to read it but I'm not good with frustrating/arrogant characters. The Silver Linings Playbook drove me nuts for example lol. Thanks though good review!

    ReplyDelete