Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Review

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Written by Stephen Chbosky
# of pages: 213

Average Rating: 4.16/5
My Rating: 2/5

Read in January 2013

Summary

This is a story about a teenager named Charlie who is not very popular, very shy, and can tell things about people based on instinct. He meets two people named Sam and Patrick, and they introduce him to a whole new world. This includes a whole new spectrum of friends, but also drugs, sex, and other high school pressures. 


My Thoughts

I know that a lot of people really enjoy this book and think that it is life-changing, but I am not one of those people. I did not think that the plot to this story was that good or very original, which led to me not enjoying what I was reading. In my opinion, this was just a regual coming-of-age story, with nothing special involved, or any moments that stuck out to me.

The main character, Charlie, tended to creep my out for various reasons - mostly his personality and his tendencies - but the other characters were funny. There was quite a bit of character development for Charlie in this story, as he had many life experiences - well, high school experiences. He was able to get out of his little bubble that included only himself, and tried things he never thought he would.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this story, as I had heard many great things, and had high expectations. Maybe I had set my expectations too high, or I missed the life-changing aspect of this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment